Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Oak Tree

Today has been a great lazy rainy day. Yesterday I woke up at 5 am, which for me is very early, and I was at Newton Wellesley hospital at 6:45 am! I had failed my glucose screening test for gestational diabetes and had to take the 3 hour tolerance test. Fast after midnight, blood drawn at 7 am, drink the glucose orange stuff at 7 am, blood drawn at 8 am, 9 am and 10 am. Then finally I could eat. It was a long morning but i was able to get some things done while waiting. Then I ran some errands, and then headed to Boston to pick Larry up. We spent about two hours walking around Boston Common, Gardens and Newbury St. Then we went and ordered my wig at Salon 10 on Newbury St. The woman was so nice. As much as I wanted the long full wavy hair, and as much as Larry wanted me to look like Kate Beckinsale, ( I need more than a wig to look like her!) we went with a style and color that is similar to my current hair. It's half synthetic and half real hair, so it feels soft but I won’t have to style it. Next week they will have me back to cut and style the hair and make it look even more like me and then when ready, I can go there and have my head shaved and start wearing the wig. Finally, Larry and I enjoyed a great dinner at a fun Tapas place on Newbury St.
Today we relaxed, slept in, watched movies and caught up on some tv shows. In between I read some of the great books and cards I have. I received this card with a great inspirational poem on it and I read it often, especially when I start to worry about monday's chemo. Since it's my Strong women's weekend I will repost it below for everyone. Stay tuned tomorrow for a mother's day gift we can all give to ourselves or moms we love! xoxo


The Oak Tree
by Johnny Ray Ryder Jr.

A mighty wind blew night and day.
It stole the Oak Tree's leaves away.
Then snapped its boughs and pulled its bark
until the Oak was tired and stark.

But still the Oak Tree held its ground
while other trees fell all around.
The weary wind gave up and spoke,
"How can you still be standing Oak?"

The Oak Tree said, I know that you
can break each branch of mine in two,
carry every leaf away,
shake my limbs and make me sway.

But I have roots stretched in the earth,
growing stronger since my birth.
You'll never touch them, for you see
they are the deepest part of me.

Until today, I wasn't sure
of just how much I could endure.
But now I've found with thanks to you,
I'm stronger than I ever knew.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That was a fabulous poem! Thanks for sharing. It is really inspirational.

    ReplyDelete