Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Walk this road together

So as you read in the news articles etc..  about 1 in 3000 pregnancies are complicated by breast cancer.  Not too rare.  Before me I didn't know anyone until I met my inspiration angel Rebecca.  But I wasn't looking either.  This week has brought so many new people into my life.   Whether it's from facebook, emails, the wontlaydown2cancer.com site or this blog, people have reached out to share their stories with me.   I am not rare.  I am not alone.  And they also are not alone.  

At age 32, 33, 34, 37, 38, 41, no family history, some family history,  months after having a baby, 11 weeks pregnant, 14 weeks pregnant, 27 weeks pregnant, 7 months pregnant, first child, 3rd child, chemo, mastectomy, radiation.   While our journeys may be slightly different..  they are all related.  We have hope, we have fight in us, we have friends and family for support.  In some ways our children or soon to be children saved our lives; through an early detection, giving us a positive distraction or giving us more determination to survive. 

I was hesitant to do the article at first, everyone would see me bald, everyone would see me scared and emotional.  But then I did the article and news video for 2 reasons: to raise awareness of breast cancer; it can happen at any age, any family history, any time in your life;  so remember... feel your boobs!   Second to promote our 1st Annual race to raise money for all cancer research because even though I am lucky to afford treatments, I can't afford to  not be there for my daughter, or to have to watch her go through this in 20 years.   Better research has to continue.   But after this week of sharing emotional stories a 3rd reason appeared.   Just as Rebecca was able to make me feel comfort and hope, I hope this media attention has allowed me to help others know there are options, they are not alone and this is hope for a wonderful future with a healthy child and mom!

This weekend I spoke with a woman who has just started this unchosen journey. At 11 weeks pregnant, in early July, she was diagnosed Her2+ breast cancer. After first being told to terminate, she also made it to Dana-Farber for a better treatment plan. Just now going through the weeks of confusion, meetings with doctors, reading, questions, she has the exact path to take as I am; lumpectomy, chemo, early delivery, more chemo...
While I appreciate and love all the "you are so strong and amazing"  I know many moms would do anything for their children.   And I know all of these new moms I have communicated with have fought cancer just as strongly as I am, for their children.   And together we should inspire and help those now facing cancer to be strong as well. 

As you pray for me, please keep these women in your hearts, as their journey continues, and please think of this new woman that she also is lucky to have the support I have, to make her positive and strong,  and trust her baby will be ok.  

So of course I found a music quote to go with this!   And I used to dislike Eminem!  I know this song isn't about cancer but his own strength to overcome a struggle. But when I heard the lyrics it made me think of the women who have reached out to me recently.

I’m not afraid to take a stand
Everybody come take my hand
We’ll walk this road together, through the storm
Whatever weather, cold or warm
Just let you know that, you’re not alone
Holla if you feel like you’ve been down the same road

Thanks for all the love and support  - xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment